Sixteen Area Students Receive Education and Skilled Trade Scholarships
Sixteen area students who are getting ready for occupations in the Dubuque-area workforce have been awarded “Education and Skilled Trade Scholarships” from the Dubuque Area Labor-Management Council.
To show that “there is a future for young people in the tri-state area,” the program is part of the Council’s goal to retain a higher percentage of school graduates in the area workforce and to develop and maintain a highly skilled workforce. The Education and Skilled Trade Scholarship program is designed to increase awareness about skilled occupations in the Dubuque area where there is a demand for good workers who need specific education or training to qualify for available jobs. This year the Council raised the awarded amount to $1,500 to each recipient.
Employers and unions may become a sponsor of the program or join the Labor-Management Council to make the immediate families of their employees and members eligible for grant assistance.
“One of the unique aspects of this program is that the scholarships are not based on grade point average or financial need,” explained Kelly Cooper, Executive Director of the Labor-Management Council. “We ask that individuals be serious about their education, be knowledgeable about the growth occupations in the tri-states, and show evidence of their desire and potential to succeed in a high-skill, high-wage jobs in the Dubuque area. The applicants must put in some work showing they have researched the career they are interested in pursuing.”
2023 Education Scholarship Recipients
· James Berna – University of Dubuque – Athletic Training/Strength Coaching
· Anna Besler – University of Iowa – High School Spanish Teacher
· Ava Bradley – Loras College – Pre-Law
· Christina Davisdon – Clarke University – Teacher
· Isabella Faber – Emmaus College – Computer Information Systems
· Jazmine Homa – Northeast Iowa Community College – Nurse
· Carson Jones – University of Texas/Arlington – Industrial Engineer
· Anna Klein – University of Northern Iowa – Athletic Training
· Ella Kluesner – University of Iowa – Health Sciences
· Natalie Leisen – Iowa State University – Architecture
· Sydney Lyon – Winona State University – Nurse
· Anna Slaght – University of Iowa – Nurse
· Caroline Slaght – University of Iowa – Nurse
· Andrew Tharp – Iowa State University – Mechanical Engineer
2023 Skilled Trade Scholarship Recipient
· Kyle Duehr – Carpenters Training Institute – Carpenter
· John Paul Grebner – Iowa State University – Equipment Technician
For more information, or to schedule a presentation about the program for a group, contact Cooper at the Labor-Management Council, at 582-8804.